July 1, 2008

Fox News and Ruslana Korshunova

I'm getting a bit fed up with the media.

Last night Fox News aired a story about the suicide of the model Ruslana Korshunova.

That's OK.

However, it contained video footage of Ruslana's dead and bloodied face on the pavement twice for over thirty seconds each. Not the body bag, which is what is normally shown. Her face.

Suicide is not a publicity stunt; it is a tragic event not to be used to boost ratings. The gory face of a homicide victim would never be broadcasted, as that would be disrespectful to the victim and disturbing to the general public, but yet somehow this was justified.

It makes me very sad.

After debating whether I should post a link to a video or not, I have decided I will, but with all due respect and warning.
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=e3cc35cd-2d1b-4c84-951f-72b0e8de4776

2 comments:

  1. What pisses me off is they show this on public tv but say "fuck" in a movie and it gets an 18 rating. It's just ridiculously hypocritical, as well as being deeply disrespectful in this case. Think how her family must feel if they turn on the tv and see that...
    ~shiv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her family and friends were mostly who I was thinking of, really. I can't imagine what might've happened if I'd learned of Eva's suicide in that way.

    ReplyDelete